The stages of rewriting or revising a novel chapter:
- Elation at finishing previous chapter. Conviction that this one will be easier.
- Slow realization that this chapter has more and stickier problems than you realized.
- Panic and insomnia.
- Inspiration and slow return of confidence.
- Possible mini cycle:
- Slow realization that the solution you thought of won’t quite work.
- Brief bout of panic and insomnia.
- Re-inspiration and return of confidence.
- Elation at finishing chapter. Conviction that the next one will be easier.